* The next meeting for the New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame will be on Thursday, January 24th, at theFaith Reformed Church located at 95 Washington St. in Lodi, N.J.which is right at the corner of Washington and Prospect St., starting at 8:00 P.M.
* Mywife Joyce and I would like to wish all of you and your loved ones a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR. I hope and pray that we all will have good health in the coming year.
* We again will be showing Old Time Boxing films starting at 6:00 P.M.
*We will have the 2012 AD journals for those who gave out ADS and we will also be selling the extra journals for only $2.00 each, plus postage.
* I want to thank everyone that had anything to do with the success of our Induction & Award Ceremonies this past November. I again received countless amount of phone calls, E-Mails and letters since the affair and they all had high praise for the New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame. Special thanks goes out to thecommittee that worked so hard on the night of our affair.
* Our next Induction ceremonies will be on Thursday, November 14th at the Venetian in Garfield.
* At this meeting & February’s meeting we will be taking names for possible induction into the New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame. If you know of someone, please make sure he or she is up to the standards of our Organization, which is included with this Newsletter. You can even nominate yourself. Also, if you have any information on the person, please give it to me by the February meeting. The 2013 Hall of Famers will be announced at the March meeting.
*Ring # 25 has their monthly meetings every 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Senior Citizen Hall in Kearney starting at 7:00 PM.
*Ring # 8, of New York will have their next meeting on Tuesday, February 12th at the Waterfront Crab House 2-03 Borden Ave. Long Island City (718) 729-4862, starting at 7:00pm. Contact President Bob Duffy 1-516-313-2304for more information.
RING 8 Holiday Event and Awards Ceremony will be held Sunday afternoon (12:00-5:00 p.m. ET), February 10 at Russo’s On The Bay in Howard Beach, New York. Committed celebrity boxing attendees include World Champions Oscar Del La Hoya, Joe Calzaghe, Bobby Czyz, Virgil Hill, Iran Barkley, Vito Antuofermo, and Matthew Saad Muhammad, as well as Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin, Renaldo “Mr.” Snipes, Tommy Gallagher, Michael Bentt, Harold Lederman, and Earnie Shavers, PLUS Jersey Shores “Snooki”. Tickets, priced at $125 per person, are available to purchase by calling 1-718-729-4862, or emailing DepComish@aol.com or mailing checks (payable to Ring 8) to Tony Mazzarella, C/O Waterfront Crab House, 2-03 Borden Ave., Long Island, NY 11101. Donations of any denomination are welcome for those unable to attend the festivities.
* The 2nd Annual New York Boxing Hall of Fame will take place on Sunday, April 28th at Russo’s on the Bay. The 2nd Class will be announced next month. Tickets are priced at $150.
For more information contact President Tony Mazzarella c/o Waterfront Crabhouse 2-03 Borden Ave., LIC, NY 11101 – 718-729-4862 or Bob Duffy, 164 Lindbergh St., Massapequa Park, NY 11762 – 516-313-2304.
Frank McGuire is recovering But still needs our Prayers. If you would like to send him a card his address is 6115 Granton Ave., Apt 12D, North Bergen, N.J. 07047.
FINALLY: MEMBERSHIP DUES ARE DUE! If you are just joining our organization you pay a total of $20.00 for the 1st yr ($10 to join & $10 for the year). If you are already a member you pay only $10.00.
President, Henry Hascup
HALL OF FAME INDUCTION REOUIREMENTS
Whereas the Hall of Fame has been organized for the recognition, honor, and induction of persons for their contributions to boxing, the inductee must meet the following criteria:
(1) A boxer must satisfy two of the four following prerequisites:
(a) Won three (3) or more senior amateur titles in the state of New Jersey;
(b) Engaged in a sufficient number of professional bouts, winning most of them;
(c) Competed in at least five (5) main event contests in the professional ranks; and
(d) Won two (2) or more senior national amateur titles.
(2) A boxing referee (professional), manager, trainer, timekeeper (professional), promoter, matchmaker, publicist or judge (professional) must have worked for fifteen (15) years;
(3) An amateur referee or amateur judge must have worked for twenty (20) years;
(4) A boxing commissioner;
(5) A boxing reporter must have worked for twenty (20) years;
(6) A boxing announcer must have worked for twenty (20) years; or
(7) A medical authority or historian must have worked for fifteen (15) years.
Additional criteria for eligible candidates for induction applicable to those who live in a surrounding state:
1. Boxers who live in a surrounding state must have fought professionally at least ten (10) times in New Jersey.
2. Officials who live in a surrounding state must have worked at least twenty-five (25) times in New Jersey.
3. Doctors who live in a surrounding state must have worked at least twenty-five (25) times in New Jersey.
4. Trainers who live in a surrounding state must have trained several boxers from New Jersey.
5. Managers who live in a surrounding state must have managed several boxers from New Jersey.
6. Boxing writers who live in a surrounding state must have covered New Jersey boxing for many years.
The criteria in this Section 19.02 do not apply if the person was born in New Jersey, lived in New Jersey during the time that the individual was boxing, or lives in New Jersey at the time of the vote for induction.
Active boxers shall not be eligible for induction.
Former boxers shall be at least 45 years old, with the exception of those gravely ill (any age), ex-champions (any age), and ex-title contenders (must be at least 40). Exceptions must be approved by the President and the Board of Directors.
HONOREE SECTION COMMITTEE
The President shall appoint the honorees’ Selection Committee.
Alternates may be available at selectors’ meeting.
Only those qualifying under Article XIX may be considered to be honorees.
All nominees shall poll in their respective categories at least fifty (50%) percent of the votes of the Members.
There shall be no more than fourteen (14) candidates (plus one or two at large (at the discretion of the President)) for induction at any single meeting for voting.
Candidates must be of an impeccable character and reputation.
The Hall of Fame may honor those from neighboring states, as well as those from New Jersey, for their contributions to boxing. This Section is subject to the specific requirements in Article XIX.